Thursday, September 16, 2010

Support my Run at NYC Marathon 2010!

I've learned that finishing a marathon isn't just an athletic achievement. It's a state of mind; a state of mind that says anything is possible - John Hanc


There are several ways of experiencing the diversity of life that NYC offers, I am told. But none of them beats running the annual New York City marathon - one of the oldest, toughest and most popular marathons in the world.

When I was planning my move into NYC last summer, I vaguely hoped that I would get a chance to run the NYC marathon some day (only the top athletes get a direct entry). But I had no idea that I would get so lucky to run the NYC marathon this year itself!

Just a few days before I boarded my flight to US, a friend from NYC told me that his non-profit organization - Union Settlement Association, was looking for runners to run the NYC marathon on 7th November 2010 and support their work through individual fundraising efforts.

Though I was initially thrilled to learn of this opportunity, I found it difficult to arrive at a decision. I wondered if it would even be possible for me to train for a marathon within 3 months (as against the usual 5 months), especially since I had run my last marathon 3 years back. What would make this race tougher would also be the weather in NYC on race day – 5 to 10 deg C, way below my comfort limit! Not to mention the rigour of settling down in a new city and going back to college after 6 years to pursue a very demanding Masters program.

Eventually, I couldn’t succeed in talking myself out of it. The marathon bug had bit me badly and I enrolled myself to be a member of the Union Settlement team running the ING NYC marathon 2010. Ever since, I have been training like a mad man running 40-45 kms every week. The going has been surprisingly smooth so far, and I am hoping to finish the marathon in 4hrs 30min.

While I have been making great strides (sorry for that!) in my training, I need your help.

The Union Settlement Association is an organization that has been serving the East Harlem community (one of the most disadvantaged neighbourhoods of NYC) since 1895, fostering community leadership and self-sufficiency by helping local residents build better lives for themselves and their families. They do so by working in close partnership with the New York City government.

Over the last few weeks, I got to learn a lot about their work through my friend (a SIPA classmate who worked at Union Settlement before) and also after visiting their community centre in East Harlem. I must admit that I was left thoroughly impressed by the quality, professionalism and dedication of their work. In signing up to run on the Union Settlement Team, I have pledged to raise $2,500 to support their work.

They have set up a web page to provide donations to your favorite runner (i.e. yours truly :) ) and ways to learn more about Union Settlement. You can also view this brief video on the history and work of Union Settlement. I urge you to make a $100, $50 or $20 contribution today, if possible.

The last couple of years have been challenging for everyone here, certainly for those who benefit from the work of the Union Settlement. While I realize it’s a tough task to ask anyone for money, I ask that you dig deep and support me in this endeavor. If you are able to make a donation, any donation, regardless of the size, thank you for your generosity on behalf of the thousands of people who benefit from the life changing, sustaining and saving services of the Union Settlement Association.

It’s an honor for me to run under the banner of the Union Settlement and with your help, I look forward to reaching the double goal of raising $2500 and finishing the race in my personal best time!



No comments: