Thursday, October 15, 2009

Aruna Roy on Indian Democracy

Read this from a rediff interview by Aruna Roy today. A fabulous statement at the end!

Q: Have you lost faith in our democracy?

No, I haven't lost my faith in democracy. I have lost my faith in the way democracy is used by the people who go into certain institutions (Parliament) in this manner.

I think it's like the parson's egg which is good in parts. Even our government is good in parts in the sense that the same Parliament gave us the Right to Information Act and the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act as well as the Special Economic Zone Act.

But then we need to educate our parliamentarians; we need to educate our politicians. Their levels of literacy is so low, their levels of exposure (to people's problems) are so low.

After all, politicians are really the custodians of our Constitution, of the people but today they have become custodians of themselves.

Getting a new political party will not solve the problem; it is the interaction with the people that will help. After all, where will we go?

It is my country, an independent country. I can't ask for any outside intervention to cleanse it. I think it is the failure of the so-called literate people, of my generation, the generation after me and also the current generation who think that running the country is not their business.

In a democracy it is your business and my business to see that the country works properly.

1 comment:

Tintu said...

Aruna Roy should first explain

what was the necessity of her version of the Lokpal Draft, when the reluctant UPA was dilly dallying with Anna Hazare's draft?

Is it not a hand in glove tactics with Congress to delay the whole process?